Sports Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The End....for now.
NHL 2013 Season EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 10:42 pm by Rain Dawn

» NHL 2013 Season
NHL 2013 Season EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 pm by Rain Dawn

» Oscar Pistorius shoots dead girlfriend
NHL 2013 Season EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:45 pm by kimball99

» Topps Baseball Cards refuse to mention Pete Rose
NHL 2013 Season EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 11:34 pm by kimball99

» Pittsburgh Penguins: In the Room - Season 2 - Ep 1
NHL 2013 Season EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 pm by Rain Dawn

» Becoming Wild - Ep 6 Mikko Koivu
NHL 2013 Season EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:35 pm by Rain Dawn

» Shark Byte 2013 Episode 1 HD
NHL 2013 Season EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:27 pm by Rain Dawn

» WWE HoF Class of 2013
NHL 2013 Season EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:47 pm by Rain Dawn

» Becoming Wild - Ep 5 Dany Heatley
NHL 2013 Season EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 am by kimball99

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 12 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:16 am

NHL 2013 Season

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NHL 2013 Season Empty NHL 2013 Season

Post  Rain Dawn Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:34 am

NHL 2013 Season Nhllogosbanner

It's back!!!!

Season Preview - Ten games to watch during season

After two weeks of leaked schedules and formats, the NHL finally released its 48-game schedule for the 2013 season on Saturday night.

Hockey fans had to wait longer than they would have liked to see it, but it sure beats the alternative (which is no schedule and no hockey at all this season).

It all begins on Saturday, Jan. 19, and as we start the countdown to the return of hockey here are 10 games that stand out that should be worth watching, including some debuts by new faces in new places, former players returning to their old stomping grounds, and perhaps even a couple of goodbyes for some of the greatest players in NHL history.

1. Kings banner raising, season opener
Jan. 19 Chicago at Los Angeles (3 p.m. ET)

Los Angeles Kings fans have had to wait since 1967 (assuming they were born at that time) to see their team win the Stanley Cup and hang a championship banner in the rafters, and now that it finally happened they had to wait even longer to see the banner go up thanks to a lockout.

Hey, when you had to wait more than 40 years to see a championship, what's another 100-plus days to finally see the banner go up?

The Kings title defense begins on Saturday against the Chicago Blackhawks.

2. Minnesota debuts its new stars
Jan. 19: Colorado at Minnesota (9 p.m. ET)

One of the biggest days in the brief history of the Minnesota Wild came on July 4 when they out of nowhere and signed the two biggest free agents on the market in Zach Parise and Ryan Suter. They make their Minnesota debuts on Jan. 19 against the Colorado Avalanche.

After a hot start last season, the Wild collapsed down the stretch and ended up being one of the worst teams in the league and obviously needed some significant changes.

These would qualify as significant changes. Minnesota still has too many holes, especially offensively, for the additions of Parise and Suter to make them a Stanley Cup contender, but they should be enough of an improvement to at least make the Wild a contender for a playoff spot.

Minnesota hasn't made the playoffs since the 2007-08 season.

3. Ryan Suter's return to Nashville
March 9: Minnesota at Nashville (8 p.m. ET)

And speaking of Ryan Suter, he's going to have to make a return to Nashville and will do so on March 9 when the Wild visit the Predators.

For years, Suter, the Predators' first-round draft pick back in 2003, was a key cog on Nashville's blue line and helped form one of the best defensive pairings in the NHL alongside Shea Weber.

General manager David Poile did everything he could to keep Suter in Nashville, but in the end the 13-year, $100-million offer the Wild presented to him, as well as the opportunity to join his friend Zach Parise, proved to be too much to turn down.

4. Rick Nash's debut in New York
Jan. 20: Pittsburgh at New York (7 p.m. ET)

The New York Rangers and Columbus Blue Jackets worked on this trade for months. There were rumors, and proposals, and rejections, and the saga finally came to an end six months ago when the Blue Jackets agreed to send the best player they've ever had to New York for a package that included Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, defense prospect Tim Erixon, and a first-round draft pick.

Nash is supposed to be the missing piece for the Rangers. Another big-time goal-scorer that will give them the offensive upgrade they need to push them into the Stanley Cup finals.

They had the goaltending last year. They had the defense. They didn't have enough offense. Will Nash be enough to get them there? Or will his recent goal-scoring decline continue into his days with the Rangers?

Although the Rangers open their season on Saturday in Boston, Nash will make his debut at Madison Square Garden one night later against Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

5. Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz debut in Edmonton
Jan. 20: Edmonton at Vancouver (9 p.m. ET)

The Edmonton Oilers probably won't win a ton of games again this season but there should be some excitement around that team coming into the season.

For one, they have a ton of young talent at forward with Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Jordan Eberle, and they spent a lot of time playing together in the American Hockey League during the lockout.

They also, for the third straight year, will be debuting a No. 1 overall draft pick as Nail Yakupov joins there core. Along with him: Defenseman Justin Schultz, a free-agent signing in the summer, who was dominating the AHL during the lockout. Their defense and goaltending is still very suspect as a group, but there's a lot of offensive talent on this team that should at least make their games entertaining.

It all starts on Jan. 20 against the Vancouver Canucks.

6. Our first look at the the new-look Dallas Stars
Jan. 19: Phoenix at Dallas (8 p.m. ET)

The Dallas Stars are one of the more fascinating teams in the NHL after their offseason moves.

Coming to Dallas are Derek Roy (via trade) and free-agent additions Ray Whitney and Jaromir Jagr.

The latter two should help boost what was a dreadful Dallas power play last season (worst in the NHL) while this could, in theory, be Jagr's final dance in the NHL. He had a fantastic start in Philadelphia last season before fading down the stretch, so perhaps Dallas is one of the teams that will benefit from having a shorter schedule.

7. Jordan Staal returns to Pittsburgh
April 27: Carolina at Pittsburgh (7 p.m. ET)

Jordan Staal was a franchise player in Pittsburgh for six years and helped the Penguins win a ton of hockey games, including a Stanley Cup back in 2009.

The Penguins made him a 10-year, $60-million offer this summer and after he rejected the team wasted little time in trading him rather than risk losing him in free agency after this season. They sent him to Carolina for a package that included center Brandon Sutter, defenseman Brian Dumolion, and the No. 8 overall pick in the draft, which the Penguins used to select defenseman Derrick Pouliot.

He will be making his return to Pittsburgh on April 27 -- the final day of the season -- when the Hurricanes visit for the first time. How will the Penguins fans respond? He was a popular player during his time there, and a damn good one. But he ended up signing in Carolina for the same contract he rejected from the Penguins.

8. Penguins vs. Flyers: Any of them, but especially the opener
Jan. 19: Penguins at Flyers (3 p.m. ET)

Whenever the Penguins and Flyers get together it's pretty much anarchy on ice, and last year's Eastern Conference quarterfinal series (which the Flyers won in six games are jumping out to a commanding 3-0 series lead) was a perfect example.

From the line brawls, to the back-and-forth, up-and-down action that resulted in one of the highest scoring playoff series we've seen in recent years, it was complete madness, and we get it four times this season.

And that includes on the NHL's opening day in Philadelphia.

No better way to kick off the season than with one of the best rivalries in the league.

9. The potential last game for Teemu Selanne
April 27: Phoenix at Anaheim (10 p.m. ET)

Teemu Selanne could probably keep playing until he's 50 if he wanted to -- and we wouldn't complain about it -- and he's yet to decide if this season will be his final one, but it's very possible that the Ducks' game on April 27 could be the final curtain call for one of the best players in NHL history.

Before the lockout came to an end, Selanne said that if the 2013 season was canceled that he would call it a career, so it stands to reason that this really could be it for him.

He enters the season with 663 career goals, 12th on the all-time list. Depending on how many goals he scores this season he could crack the top-10.

10. Martin Brodeur's last game in Montreal?
Jan. 27: New Jersey at Montreal (6 p.m. ET)

Martin Broduer is another future Hall of Famer who could be taking part in his final NHL season, and the Devils' Jan. 27 game against the Canadiens could be extra special for him as it could be his final game in his hometown.

Coming into the season, 43 of Brodeur's 656 career wins have come against the Canadiens. He's only defeated four teams (both New York teams, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia) more often.

There was speculation after the Stanley Cup Final that Brodeur might not come back this season (or that he could even test the free-agent market) but the 40-year-old is back for at least one more season. Along with Johan Hedberg he's helping to form one of the oldest goaltending duos the NHL has ever seen.

Anyone ready for some Hockey??
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

https://sports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

NHL 2013 Season Empty Re: NHL 2013 Season

Post  kimball99 Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:29 am

I'm ready Smile. I been dyin' for 4 months haha.

Go flames go...they're winning 1-0 right now.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 pm

I was happy enough with the Wild's first game. The first period was sluggish, but in the 2nd it was the Wild I expect to see most of this year. Parise on the Powerplay with Koivu and Heatley was dynamic. Felt really confident they would break down the Av's and they did. Slick hands from Grandlund gets him his first NHL goal.

Waiting for the 2nd game to appear online so I can download it lol
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Stupid Flames and their stupid defensive collapse and leaving it up to Kiprusoff Mad Oh well...last week Jay Feaster was goin n waiting to see some hockey to better access his team' needs....well one or 8 defensive minded players is a great start Smile
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:44 pm

It's been a weird few days in the world of Hockey. Rangers starting 0-2 and same with Flyers. Hossa racking up the points early on. The Wild getting off to a 2-0 start is brilliant, but more importantly than the wins is the performance behind them. Parise has started hot and heatley has a swagger about him playing on the same line. Gonna try and catch the Rangers/Bruins game tonight (or tomorrow for me lol)
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Not weird for me though....my flames blew another lead last night :\

And I hope the Bruins hand the Rangers' ass to them on a platter. Bruins are looking good, even without Thomas.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:30 am

Got my days wrong. I'm already losing track of the week lol

Preds/Wild tonight for me. Although they are blowing leads at least they are getting goals. Last season (2nd half of it) it was pitful watching the Wild with there Houston team because of injuries and knowing that basically they would lose or score 1 goal at most. I think the Flames will have to tighten up, but still time to make a move or two
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 am

Don't be so nice to my Flames...they need to blowup the team and start from scratch. Best player is 36, only real goalie is 33, no secondary scoring other then Glencross and maybe Tanguay, if he feels like playing in said night. And oooh right, no decent prospects above having potential of an career 4th liner.

Hey what website do you go to for your nhl stuff?
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 am

I download the game from TSTN (The Sports Torrent Network)

You familiar with downloading Torrent files? Because I have 1 invite if you want it. Every NHL game gets uploaded...but it just sucks that the Wild's game seem to be the slowing at making it to the site. I've still not seen the Preds/Wild game yet, but I'll check it again in the morning. They do other sports on there too, but it is mainly Hockey. They posted quite a few classic games when the lockout was on too.

Here's the site: afro
http://www.thesportstorrentnetwork.co.uk/torrents.php
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

I might check it out. But I do have the centre ice package, which I dunno if it in UK or not. I get every game, and thanks to the wonders of the pvr, I can pretty much record every game. But if it has classics, I'll definitely check it out.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Once I get to a computer later ill send you an invite. Let me know what e-mail address to send too though
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Woohoo...Flames lost yet again. But hey, at least they got a point this time :\
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Not the greatest start by the Flames. There is no way to suger coat it. Wild picked up there first loss to the predators in a game they dominated for a large spell.

Ill send you the invite for the site later today
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 am

I watched my first Caps game of the season against the Penguins yesterday and it was a weird one for Ovechkin. He was pretty much non existent in the first two periods and than was instrumental on a couple of power plays and started driving to the net again. He then takes a needless penalty towards the end allowing the Pens to seal an impressive 6-3 victory. Kunitz looked good and Crosby got in on the points again. Ovechkin definitely seems to have lost his fire or something because he, as captain, needs to step up. He looks docile at times and to be honest I think it's time his shift length started to come down a bit. He is really only playing at the moment because of his name. I know the Caps ain't going fast anytime soon, but how long do you stick with him taking shots from all over the ice (although granted, his shot ratio was down in the Pens game)
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 am

As long as it takes for him to pick it up a notch. Then again benching him could be a solution. The worse part is you have a coach who, as a player only ever did the offensive shit, so people need to stop blaming Adam Oates for Ovechkin's probems. Ovechkin has become lazy.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:52 am

The only good thing about this issue is that Overchkin isn't in denial. He's admitted that it's been a bad start to the year and he needs to work harder. It's one thing saying it though and another putting action to it. I don't see an immediate turn around likely for him.
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:29 am

Him admitting he is off to a bad start reminds me of an interview with Wayne from 1989 with the Kings...the interview was a clip on his dvd collection..."Ya, I'm not feeling it right now, it's been three weeks and I just can't seem to get it together". The commentator on the dvd then states that at that point of the season when the interview was taken Wayne had 4 goals and 14 assists in 10 games lmao. Talk about being on different planets.

I do sort of feel bad for Ovie but fuck, he's got to get it together. Without him, the Caps fail huge lol.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Kinda says it all about the Great One doesn't it lol

The Caps have relied on him too much. With him in a funk it sends the whole team into a downward spiral. The goaltending situation ain't the prettiest either and can't install much confidence when Luongo and is constantly being mentioned, although that seems to have died down since Luongo has started strong.
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:02 am

Any team at this point would be retarted to take on Luongo's contract. Seriously, it's brutal. Might be worth it for a couple years, but 10 more years? Some team will be killing themselves if and when they pick him up.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Teams do strange things and with Schneider there as well there is plenty of talent. I don't seem him being moved either. The Canucks are handling business on the ice and gave the Wild a beating the other night. Wild have started poorly but at least they can say they've committed amongst the least penalty minutes along with the Flames. I'm trying to look for a positive anywhere at the moment Embarassed
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:38 am

Dont' worry I'm doing the same with the flames. I mean, somethign is good in Calgary, Stempniak is tied with Iginla for goals Smile
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:37 am

I guess it's tonight that the Wild hand it Flames and knock them off the ice Razz

All serious though, Setoguchi looked on a mission against the Predators and finally got his first goal of the season. I hope it carries over because to be fair to him he has been working the boards well and the net but never got the luck needed. Heatley is not doing well being away from Koivu and Parise. Coyle and Brodin are looking better than rookies. I expect it to be a tough game.
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:44 pm

SMH at Heatley. Hes such a diva, which sucks because the guy does have talent.

hat was a pretty good game. Fuck you minnesota though Razz. Both teams played surprisingly well, and I'm totaally loving Irving in net for the Flames. The guy is a beast and I wish the Fames would give the guy a chance. Smh at Iginla though, he looks like age is finally catching up to him Sad.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 pm

It's the first Flames game I've watched this year and I agree about Iginla. Normally a Wild killer, but it wasn't his most impressive game. Irving was good. He seems like a bright spark in net and I would have confidence watching him from what I seen of him.
Minnesota need to put more pucks at net though. It's frustrating how they can go so long in games without a single shot. Solid, gritty game from both and should be another good one with them due to meet again soon.
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 pm

With some of the names on the Wild, you would think getting the puck to the net wouldn't be much of a problem eh?.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next