Sports Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The End....for now.
Baseball's latest Drug Scandal EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 10:42 pm by Rain Dawn

» NHL 2013 Season
Baseball's latest Drug Scandal EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 pm by Rain Dawn

» Oscar Pistorius shoots dead girlfriend
Baseball's latest Drug Scandal EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:45 pm by kimball99

» Topps Baseball Cards refuse to mention Pete Rose
Baseball's latest Drug Scandal EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 11:34 pm by kimball99

» Pittsburgh Penguins: In the Room - Season 2 - Ep 1
Baseball's latest Drug Scandal EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 pm by Rain Dawn

» Becoming Wild - Ep 6 Mikko Koivu
Baseball's latest Drug Scandal EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:35 pm by Rain Dawn

» Shark Byte 2013 Episode 1 HD
Baseball's latest Drug Scandal EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:27 pm by Rain Dawn

» WWE HoF Class of 2013
Baseball's latest Drug Scandal EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 7:47 pm by Rain Dawn

» Becoming Wild - Ep 5 Dany Heatley
Baseball's latest Drug Scandal EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 am by kimball99

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 12 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:16 am

Baseball's latest Drug Scandal

2 posters

Go down

Baseball's latest Drug Scandal Empty Baseball's latest Drug Scandal

Post  Rain Dawn Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:00 am

affraid affraid Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad Sad

Over the weekend news broke that MLB and the Drug Enforcement Administration were investigating a clinic in Miami run by Anthony Bosch, a noted friend, adviser and consultant to many baseball players. Bosch’s clinic has long been associated with so-called anti-aging therapies and he has long been associated with PEDs. MLB reached out to the DEA because it does not have subpoena power and is interested in getting to the bottom of Bosch’s association with ballplayers.

Now a blockbuster report from the Miami New Times, which has been given patient records by an anonymous source, suggests that A-Rod and other ballplayers were, in fact, given HGH by Bosch. In A-Rod’s case as late as last year, long after he claimed that he had ceased using PEDs:

Yet there was his name, over and over again, logged as either “Alex Rodriguez,” “Alex Rod,” or his nickname at the clinic, “Cacique,” a pre-Columbian Caribbean chief. Rodriguez’s name appears 16 times throughout the records New Times reviewed.

Take, for instance, one patient list from Bosch’s 2009 personal notebook. It charts more than 50 clients and notes whether they received their drugs by delivery or in the office, how much they paid, and what they were taking.

There, at number seven on the list, is Alex Rodriguez. He paid $3,500, Bosch notes. Below that, he writes, “1.5/1.5 HGH (sports perf.) creams test., glut., MIC, supplement, sports perf. Diet.” HGH, of course, is banned in baseball, as are testosterone creams.

The New Times details multiple other records of banned substances, under either Rodriguez’s name or under his cousin Yuri Sucart. These include HGH, IGF-1, which stimulates muscle growth and is also banned and something called “troches,” which is a lozenge which releases testosterone. But there is evidence of more recent use as well:

The mentions of Rodriguez begin in 2009 and continue all the way through last season. Take a page in another notebook, which is labeled “2012″ and looks to have been written last spring. Under the heading “A-Rod/Cacique,” Bosch writes, “He is paid through April 30th. He will owe May 1 $4,000… I need to see him between April 13-19, deliver troches, pink cream, and… May meds. Has three weeks of Sub-Q (as of April).”

The New Times describes Sub-Q as a “mixture of HGH, IGF-1, and other drugs.”

Also mentioned in the records are Melky Cabrera, Yasmani Grandal and Bartolo Colon, all of whom have tested positive for PEDs in the past year. One additional mention — a player never before linked with PEDs — is Nelson Cruz. Gio Gonzalez is mentioned as well, but the records seem less definitive and may be connected to his father, who is quoted in the story.

The New Times attempted to get comment from all of the athletes named in the story. None responded. Since the report was released, both Alex Rodriguez and Gio Gonzalez have issued statements. Rodriguez’s statement, first reported by Joel Sherman of the New York Post:

“The news report about a purported relationship between Alex Rodriguez and Anthony Bosch are not true. Alex Rodriguez was not Mr. Bosch’s patient, he was never treated by him and he was never advised by him. The purported documents referenced in the story — at least as they relate to Alex Rodriguez — are not legitimate.”

Gonzalez’s statement:

“I’ve never used performance-enhancing drugs of any kind, and I never will. I’ve never met or spoken with Tony Bosch or used any substances provided by him. Anything said to the contrary is a lie.”

Major League Baseball has also issued a statement:

“We are always extremely disappointed to learn of potential links between players and the use of performance-enhancing substances. These developments, however, provide evidence of the comprehensive nature of our anti-drug efforts. Through our Department of Investigations, we have been actively involved in the issues in South Florida. It is also important to note that three of the players allegedly involved have already been disciplined under the Joint Drug Program.

“The recommendations of the Mitchell Report have once again played a critical role in Major League Baseball’s ongoing efforts against performance-enhancing drugs. MLB implemented all of the recommendations made by Senator Mitchell in 2007, several of which emphasized the significance of installing proactive investigative services.

“The establishment of our Department of Investigations has represented a critical advance in these comprehensive efforts. In the years since its formation, DOI’s work has proven pivotal to bringing to light information regarding the use of performance-enhancing substances. Furthermore, DOI has built strong working relationships with federal and local law enforcement authorities. These relationships are crucial because only law enforcement officials have the capacity to reach those outside the game who are involved in the distribution of illegal performance-enhancing drugs.

“Vigilance remains the key toward protecting the integrity of our game. We have the best and most stringent drug testing policy in professional sports, we continue to work with our doctors and trainers to learn what they are seeing day-to-day and we educate our players about the game’s unbending zero-tolerance approach. We remain fully committed to following all leads and seeking the appropriate outcomes for all those who use, purchase and are involved in the distribution of banned substances, which have no place in our game.

“We are in the midst of an active investigation and are gathering and reviewing information. We will refrain from further comment until this process is complete.”

This is a major, major story. We have the east coast BALCO on our hands here.

Keep updating HardballTalk for the latest on this story and for our own unique analysis. Including Major League Baseball’s potential recourse against the named players and the likelihood that the Yankees could sue Alex Rodriguez to void his contract, which still has $114 million remaining.

Source: Hardball Talk

---

This is REALLY BAD!! After the trouble with BALCO and the investigations for the better part of a decade we now have this. A-Rod is going to be buried from all of this. The fallout is going to be huge and Baseball will once again be dragged through the mud. It's a shame because attendance have been on the rise. Such a shame.
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

https://sports.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Baseball's latest Drug Scandal Empty Re: Baseball's latest Drug Scandal

Post  kimball99 Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:42 am

LMAO!!! I love it. Not to knock my north american counterparts here, but it's a shame that America's game is about nothing but money and cheatin'. How baseball continues to survive is beyond me, but it don't deserve support from the fans. MY baseball heroes from my childhood are all fucking 'roid monkeys who thought they'd never get caught, an now this generations is headin the same way. For cryin out loud, not a single player was put in the hall of fame this year. I say MLB starts testing EVERYONE regularly and ban players for life. Fuck it, put a stop to it right now.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:37 pm

It's a real shame though. Baseball is my preferred sport and to see the game try hard the last few years to rid itself from the damage of the Mitchell report and now there is this!!
I hope the game will get clean,but its going to be a long process. I'm surprised fans haven't totally boycotted it all together but I'm hopeful it'll change soon.

I'm no fan of A-Rod's so I'm glad he's been busted again. jocolor
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 am

Like I said, start testing every single players and ban them for a year at least without ay, thatll put an end to it. If caught a second time, ban them for life. All the excuses in the world can't explain why MLB, or any other sport, doesn't do this.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Chicks dig the long ball!

The reason I believe they turned a blind eye for so long is due to the success the game had when players were slugging it. The battle of Sosa vs McGwire brought in tons of fans and even though people didn't like Bonds they still admired the moon shots.

I totally agree though. The field has to be level throughout MLB and testing needs to be regulated more and not this random spot checks.
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:06 pm

Ah yes Sosa vs Mcgwire...I'm surprised Vince didn't try to book this as a wrestlemania match. The worse part about this whole thing is, I, along with many other fans, firmy believe that MLB and/or the owners are involved with this. I know, I know, just another conspircy theory. But why the hell else could we go this long without hearing about any steroids, then have more, then go longer without hearing about, then have more Just seems kind of fishy. And really, if it was such a big issue, most players would steer clear of the juice.

kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Unfortunately with everything else in life this all comes down to money. If the big boppers were'nt celebrated and revered so much then they wouldn't do it. Take Jose Bautista for example. He went from an ordinary dude in Pittsburgh to a crushing HR monster in Toronto. Now, a lot of people think he's juicing. He's been tested multiple times since becoming a slugger and he's always came back clean. I truly hope he has been clean throughout because the game badly needs someone like him to lead from the front in that category.
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:02 pm

You're right, they do need someone clean to lead the pack. The only problem I have with "negative" results, is McGwire went soemthing like 7 or 8 seasons with being tested and always failed. Then eventually it comes out that he was doin it for like 10-12 years. Same as Bonds and such. It would be good if an outside firm was given the task of doin the testing. Because guaranteed, if they id that ALOT of people would get busted. Just not Bautista, I like him, he's fun to watch.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 pm

More names keep being mentioned to this Biogensis Clinic and some are quite big. Here are the ones being mentioned so far:

Alex Rodriguez
Ryan Braun
Melky Cabrera
Danny Valencia
Jesus Montero
Cesar Carrillo
Francisco Cervelli
Jhonny Peralta

Although there names are there most are not tied to PED's. The most distressed on that list should now be Braun. He cleared his name last year, but this will just open it all up again. He has made a statement saying he used the clinic for research

During the course of preparing for my successful appeal last year, my attorneys, who were previously familiar with Tony Bosch, used him as a consultant. More specifically, he answered questions about T/E ratio and possibilities of tampering with samples. There was a dispute over compensation for Bosch’s work, which is why my lawyer and I are listed under ‘moneys owed’ and not on any other list. I have nothing to hide and have never had any other relationship with Bosch. I will fully cooperate with any inquiry into this matter.
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:08 am

Yep Braun's guilty lmao.

Like I said in an earlier post, yep let the big names fly. Bit Melky, not Melky, I love this guy Sad
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Dawn Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:52 am

And to keep the PED thing rolling along. Curt Schilling drops this little nugget.

Curt Schilling spoke with WEEI’s Rob Bradford last night and gave a thorough explanation of Someone on the Red Sox Said Schilling Should Take PEDs-gate.

Read the whole thing, but among the key takeaways:

Schilling told Red Sox brass after it happened and MLB investigated, but admits he was less-than-forthcoming about it all to MLB because he didn’t want to get anyone in trouble; and
When Schilling brought it all up on Wednesday he wasn’t trying to get attention. Rather, he was trying to make a point about how people who take PEDs aren’t necessarily bad people making bad decisions.
Well, OK then. I think his behavior in 2008 — blow a whistle and then not cooperate with the authorities — is curious-at-best for someone who portrays himself as one of the more anti-PED guys. And if he didn’t think his comments on Wednesday were going to cause a stir he hasn’t been paying attention to anything he’s said or done for the past decade or so. But it is Curt Schilling we’re talking about so anything is possible.

Beyond that: I still feel like there’s a general disconnect in the way all of this has gone down in the past 24 hours. Everyone’s first reaction — Jed Hoyer’s Larry Lucchino’s and Major League Baseball’s — was one of shock, surprise, and lets-get-to-the-bottom-of-this. Curt Schilling’s first response on Twitter was that he wasn’t going to name names because that wouldn’t do any good. Then, a few hours later, everyone agrees that, oh yeah, this was all handled back in 2008, nothing to see here.

Just … curious.

UPDATE: Jed Hoyer, who was the Red Sox’ assistant general manager back in 2008, was asked about Curt Schilling’s comments yesterday afternoon. This is what he said:

“The first I ever heard of that was this morning when I saw it, so clearly, no, it didn’t ring true to me at all,” Hoyer said Thursday on The McNeil & Spiegel Show on 670 The Score. “I can tell you it would be preposterous that Theo or I would be involved in that. So I can comment for the two of us. I obviously wasn’t there. I don’t know the story he’s talking about so I can’t comment on the rest of it. I can tell you certainly it wasn’t Theo or me.”

If there was, as everyone is now saying, a Major League Baseball investigation of the employee telling Schilling to take PEDs, how on Earth does Jed Hoyer not know about it? How is yesterday morning the first time he has ever heard of it? Because Schilling told people about it. From the Bradford interview:

Schilling immediately informed both Francona and Epstein of the incident, telling them, “I had a very uncomfortable conversation.”

So Theo Epstein knew and an investigation happened, but his assistant was kept totally in the dark? Really?

This stinks.

Baseball is going to be tarnished by this for a long time. I have no idea how they will attract new fans with this going on, but figures do show the game to be in tremendous health. Schilling must have know the attention this would have brought on him and onto the issue. It's such a hot topic at the moment that I fail to see him being blindsided by all of this. He's never been known to be shy in the past so he knew what was coming.
Rain Dawn
Rain Dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kimball99 Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:41 am

The game is in great health no doubt about that. But it won't continue this way though. At some point in time people will just tune out and try to get a sports fix that ain't tainted somewhere else...hey maybe all them fans will turn to wrestling lol.
kimball99
kimball99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum